Thursday, April 25, 2019

Jenell Decker - April Athlete of the Month

Jenell Decker is our April Athlete of the Month 

WR: Hi Jenell, congratulations on being chosen athlete of the month for FTR after your brave race down in Galveston!!

JD: Thank you. I’m so excited 



WR: Before we get into your race this past weekend, tell me how you got started in this crazy sport. 



JD: It all started with running. I was challenged to run a marathon and so I took the challenge and I was hooked on running.

I always liked to swim but had to learn how to swim correctly. I could not swim a lap across the pool. I saw an elderly gentleman and he gave me the encouragement to learn how to swim. So I practiced and practiced. 

I grew up riding bikes. I had a friend at work who did Triathlons and told me I should try one. I pondered the idea and decided to try. I did my first triathlon at Jefferson, Tx and came in last place. I also went to wrong direction. I was hooked the minute the put the ink on my arm
So the the addiction began. 

WR: Last place and now look at you now. Always on the podium. How long ago was your first triathlon in Jefferson? I’m not sure it’s still around. 

JD: I did that in 2009. I was very scared of the swim. I had no idea that running after riding a bike would hurt so bad. 

WR: Was that your first time to run off the bike as well? Did you have any practice beforehand running off the bike? 

JD: Yes it was my first time to run off a bike and I never had any kinda of practice. I Really did not know how to ride a bike during a race. I Did not know how to shift gears on the bike. 

WR: Crazy Jenell, that’s why triathlon can be dangerous. So, what was the process like trying to figure all of these skills out between then and now? 

JD: At first I had no clue how dangerous that was. I had no idea about any of it. 

Swimming, I started going to the lake to swim some but it was scary. But in my mind I was gonna overcome fear and so I did. I would practice at the pool swimming and watching Swim videos, trying to learn how to swim. 

I was awful with the bike

WR: It looks like things eventually came along for you. What was the build up leading in towards Texas 70.3 in Galveston like? 

JD: While preparing for Galveston I had set me a goal time and the only way I could even come close to getting there was I needed to focus more on running. Running after riding a bike ride was my weakest link and I wanted to improve that area. I would do my runs on hills and after biking. I would try and trash out my legs and run on them when given the opportunity. I noticed that it was working! My runs were getting stronger. I was excited too. Biking I was maintaining and learning a new way of riding with watts and holding back on it so I could run better. This plan was working. Swimming it was just keep on swimming and hope for the best! I’m strong swimmer now. 

WR: 

Awesome! Running off the bike can be completely different. So then day of Texas 70.3 actually game. What was your goal time and how did your race go?

JD: 70.3 was game for me. My goal time was around 6 hours to complete. I was excuting my plan exactly how I was trained. I was on target. I had a good swim and bike ride dealing with the wind and rain. My transition times were better. My biggest goal was to master that run! I was doing that until the lightning, wind and rain started. I was almost to mile 6. I was under my goal time for the run. Then the race officials pulled us off the course. I was gonna run that storm if allowed too. I’m kinda stubborn like that. That’s what Ironman is all about. Grit, pain, 
toughness and character building! I was doing it and felt good. I was never scared during that storm.

WR: You have been working with Coach Sherril for awhile. How was her coaching and how did it help you nail the run? 

JD: She listened to me and gave me more effective runs and bricks after doing bike rides. She gave me target paces for my runs

Not to much running but effective running. 

WR: What do you mind by effective running?

JD: Effective running doing speed work and long endurance run with some hills in a given pace.

I Did hilly runs and some trail running which helped strengthen my legs

WR:You may know my buddy Mike B and you went pretty regularly to his classes, is this right? Did this help you gain any additional skills ?
I’m practiced running using correct form 

JD: That was a big key in gaining knowledge and strength on the bike. I learned how to ride the bike more efficiently which helped lead to a better run. I gained a lot of extra fitness, strength and mental toughness from Mikes class! 

WR: Yeah it looked like you were cruising on the bike pretty good. What % of FTP was that? 

JD: Great!! You definitely executed a great race. So, how bad was the weather actually? We know you’re out side of the norm and would have ran through a tsunami, haha?? 

WR: Great!! You definitely executed a great race. So, how bad was the weather actually? We know you’re out side of the norm and would have ran through a tsunami, haha?? 

JD: On the bike it was very windy, like riding in molasses in January. The run was the most exciting! I ran in the lightning, thunder, hail, extreme hard winds and running in ankle deep water was kinda tough! I was determined to run in this as long as I was allow too! 

WR: That has to be quite a day. I can only imagine. Where did you end up in results after they chaos had settled? Did they cut it off at the end of the bike?

JD: I was at mile 5.6 according my garmin and the tracker cut me off at mile 4.4 on the run. My bike time was 3:01. Which was good considering the wind and weather. 

The chaos was the ultimate experience. One that I will never forget!!

WR: Did we get a final place for you? 

JD: I got a DNF along with the rest of my age group. That’s the most amazing DNF. If I was able to finish at the pace I was going I believe I would have been in the top 10 in my age a group. This DNF is special. I got an experience in what a true triathlete is all about. I do this for the love of the sport, to grow inside and out. If I can help another athlete on the course with words of encouragement and a smile and see that athlete finish their race that’s the must amazing experience to me. 



WR: Thank you for filling me in on that. I think the officials did all they could given the circumstances. Thank you also for reiterating in your own words what this crazy sport is all about. 



JD: Thank you! I will get redemption at Half IM Waco. I have to go battle those hills

WR: Great! I was going to ask what is next for you. Glad to hear that and that’s in October. Can you explain how Fly Tri Racing and the coaching by Coach Sherril has helped you become a better overall triathlete? 

JD: I did not want any injuries and my work schedule is crazy! Coach Sherril gave me workouts that were challenging physically and mentally at times. She able to juggle my schedule. She has taught me that it’s ok to rest and enjoy the recovery weeks. A huge lesson that I’m still learning. Fly Tri has let me become part of a team and family. It takes a family to grow an athlete. Coach Sherril is always there to help with swims and bike rides. Can I say she is the must Aero Dynamic person on the bike that I have ever seen. Sherril has helped me get my nutrition under control so I can race efficient. She has done so much for me. I’m so appreciative of her and Fly Tri. I love my team!!!

WR: Coach Sherril has been great. We love her too. We’re glad you have chosen to train with us. Thank you for sharing your Galveston experience and your mindset with it so others can learn from you. 

JD: You all are awesome!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment